Changes Are Constent

Changing interests and focuses in our lives make life more interesting and FUN. With that in mind I have added a couple more blogs: Preschool Learning Adventure and Mama's Reading Nook both are linked to Primarily A Mama blog. This will stay as my main page, but the others you can access through the tabs above. I will make excerpt posts here for each post written on the other blogs and link them so you can just click and go. I hope this will help keep things better organized and clean looking for myself and all of you.

Thursday, June 19, 2008

The temple is a blessing to me and my family. June 2008 week 4

I WILL BE REVERENT, DRESS MODESTLY, AND SPEAK KINDLY TO BE WORTHY TO ENTER THE TEMPLE.

Reverence

SONG: “Reverence is Love” (CS, 31
Reverence is a feeling of love and respect for all that is sacred. We show this feeling in our words and actions. When we are reverent, we draw closer to Heavenly Father and Jesus.
Reverence - It is a feeling of love and respect for Heavenly Father, Jesus, and their creations, as well as for sacred places. It grows as we learn about Heavenly Father and Jesus and their love for us. It is more than being quiet.

Read President Kimball’s definition of reverence: “We must remember that reverence is not a somber, temporary behavior that we adopt on Sunday. True reverence involves happiness, as well as love, respect, gratitude, and godly fear. It is a virtue that should be part of our way of life. In fact, Latter-day Saints should be the most reverent people in all the earth.” (We Should Be a Reverent People, [pamphlet, 1976], p. 4.)


Tell Story of Christ Birth . Emphasize how the shepherds and the Wise Men where revenant when they came into the presence of the Christ Child, because of their love and respect for him.


Ask family members to think about how they felt the last time they:
Thought about Jesus during the sacrament
Watching a beautiful sunset
Walking through a quiet garden
Seeing our prophet or listening to his voice
Holding a tiny baby
Listening to peaceful music
Praying sincerely to Heavenly Father.


** Help your children understand that we show our love for Heavenly Father and Jesus by using our hands, arms, feet, eyes, lips, and heads in a reverent way when we are in sacred places and when we pray. It is easier to think loving, reverent thoughts when we are quiet. Ask each children how each part of their body can help them to be reverent.


Hands and arms-–Fold during prayer, keep quiet in our laps, raise to take part.
Feet and legs-–Walk quietly, remain still.
Ears-–Listen to what is said, listen to the sacred music.
Heads-–Bow when prayers are being said and think about Heavenly Father and Jesus.
Eyes-–Watch the teacher, bishop, or anyone who is speaking.
Lips-–Speak quietly, smile, sing songs, pray, remain closed when someone else is praying.
** Idea more for younger children.



Modesty and Speak Kindly

Song: “I Have Two Ears” (CS, 269)


Scripture: 13th Article of Faith


Modesty is an attitude of propriety and decency in dress, grooming, language, and behavior. If we are modest, we do not draw undue attention to ourselves. Instead, we seek to "glorify God in [our] body, and in [our] spirit" (1 Corinthians 6:20; see also 1 Corinthians 6:19).
The way you dress sends messages about yourself to others and often influences the way you and others act, you should dress in such a way as to bring out the best in yourself and those around you.
You can also show respect for the Lord and yourselves by dressing appropriately for Church meetings and activities, whether on Sunday or during the week. If you are not sure what's appropriate, ask for guidelines from your parents, advisers, and bishop.


How you speak and the words you use tell much about the image you choose to portray. Use language to build and uplift those around you. Profane, vulgar, or crude language and inappropriate jokes are offensive to the Lord. They harm your spirit and degrade you. Don't lower yourself to use such language or jokes, even if people around you do. Never misuse the name of God or Jesus Christ. The Lord said, "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain" (Exodus 20:7). Set a positive example for your friends and others by using clean language to express your feelings.

Activities:
As a family go through old magazines and shopping ads and find clothing and hair styles that are modest.. Make a collage of all the things you can do.
Learn a new word every day to help improve your “good” vocabulary.

Reverence is Love
Rev’rence is more than just quietly sitting:

It’s thinking of Father above,
A feeling I get when I think of his blessings.
I’m rev’rent, for rev’rence is love.
When I’m rev’rent, it shows in my words and my deeds.
The pathway to follow is clear.
And when I am rev’rent, I know in my heart
Heav’nly Father and Jesus are near.
Words and music: Maggie Olauson, b. 1949 © 1987 by Maggie Olauson. All rights reserved. This song may be copied for incidental, noncommercial church or home use.

I Have Two Ears
1. I have two ears to hear the truth,
Two eyes to see the good.
I have two feet to carry me
To places where they should.

Chorus
I’ll try to use them wiselyIn my work and play.
I thank my Heav’nly Father
For making me this way.

2. I have two lips to speak kind words,

Two hands to work for me.
All these loving helpers
Heav’nly Father gave to me.


Improvise actions as suggested by the words.
Words: Georgia Maeser, 1893–1972. Music: A. Laurence Lyon, b. 1934. © 1977 IRI



Statements taken from LDS.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact

I have changed emails, just for this blog. If you would like to contact me, for any reason, please email me at PrimaryMama.Sunday@gmail.com
PrimaryMama{dot}Sunday{at}gmail{dot}com